Court approves ₦5 million bail for activist Justice “Crack” in cybercrime trial.


A Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday approved bail for activist and social media commentator Justice Mark Chidiebere, also known as Justice Crack, in the sum of N5 million in connection with alleged cybercrime offences.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik, delivering the ruling, said the bail must be secured with one surety of equal value. The court specified that the surety must live within the court’s jurisdiction at a verifiable address for at least four years and must provide documentation such as a tenancy agreement or certificate of occupancy as proof of residence.

The judge further required the surety to be a federal civil servant not below Grade Level 15, with evidence of at least three months’ salary, a confirmation letter from their department head, and proof of pensionable employment. In addition, the surety must submit an affidavit of means and a recent passport photograph, while the defendant was ordered to surrender his international passport to the court.

Earlier in the proceedings, the prosecution counsel, M.L. Jackson, told the court that the case was ready for trial. The first prosecution witness, a DSS operative identified as Uruntu Douglas, said he got involved after the defendant was handed over by Army Intelligence for investigation.

He testified that the defendant had voluntarily given a statement in the presence of his lawyers. He also alleged that soldiers had sent images to the defendant, which he turned into videos and posted online without confirming their authenticity with military authorities.

The witness added that investigators retrieved data from the defendant’s phone, including social media videos, chats with soldiers, and conversations with an alleged “godfather” about protests. He said forensic analysis was completed and certified by a senior officer.

During the hearing, the defence complained that it had not been served with the prosecution’s investigation report and related documents intended for evidence. The prosecution admitted the lapse and apologised.

The court then admitted the DSS investigation report as Exhibit A, along with an iPhone allegedly taken from the defendant, a flash drive containing social media videos, extracted communications, and a certificate confirming the forensic process.

However, the defence objected to the flash drive, arguing that its contents had not been properly presented or demonstrated in court.

The case was adjourned until May 25 for further hearing, with the first prosecution witness still under examination. A previous bail hearing on May 14 had been delayed due to internal disagreement within the defence team over who should lead, leading to the withdrawal of an earlier bail application and a fresh filing.

Kindly Share This!!!

PunchNewspaper

Post a Comment

0 Comments